Friday, December 3, 2010

My Dirty Little Secret

I love healthy food and eating right, I really REALLY do. But I do have a secret. There is one food in the world that I love probably more than anything. And it is a disgusting carbo-loaded, saturated fat drowned, absolutely artery clogging thing. It is from a fast food restaurant and it isn't even on the menu! It is a baked fettucine alfredo from Fazoli's, and it is my thing. I used to work at Fazoli's. It was my first real job and I started there when I was just 17 right after I graduated highschool. I worked there all through my first year of college until that next summer. Prior to working at Fazoli's it had always been my favorite "restaurant" (I am pleased to say that I at least have more grown-up tastes in restaurants now). When I was younger, every year on my birthday when I got to pick my place to eat...it would be Fazoli's. The one time I could pick ANYWHERE I wanted to go, and it was Fazoli's. Another shocking thing, as much as I love variety, I only ever got ONE dish. Every. single. time. A bowl of fettucine alfredo. Every time- no exceptions. Literally for probably a good twelve years it is the only thing I ever ordered from Fazoli's. I absolutely craved it. Once I started working there I was eating Fazoli's every day and eventually the inevitable happened....I got sick of eating the same thing. So I created a fabulous new dish that isn't really on the menu. They have a baked spaghetti, which is just spaghetti noodles, marinara, cheese on top, baked in the oven. I swapped out the spaghetti noodles for fettucine noodles, subbed the marinara for alfredo sauce, kept the cheese, and then covered it in red pepper flakes. Voila! My amazingly delicious baked alfredo. It has now been several years since I worked there, but every time I have a super craving- this is what I want. I order this probably every two and a half weeks to enjoy and work off later :) This dish is not even remotely healthy, but my does it fill a hole in my heart.
There I am working at Fazoli's over four years ago

P.S. After working there over a year and smelling like the garlicky breadsticks EVERY single day, and knowing how they make them, I do not eat breadsticks from Fazoli's anymore. Yuck! (I mean really, the greasy garlic gets in your pores and no matter how much you shower it doesn't go away! On one occasion after coming home from work, my parents thought that I was making garlic bread in the kitchen!!!!)


JORDAN

No comments:

Post a Comment